Need Expert Advice?
Want To Order By Phone?
Mon.-Fri. 9am to 5:30pm EST
Need Expert Advice?
Want To Order By Phone?
Mon.-Fri. 9am to 5:30pm EST
Welcome to the National Allergy E-Mail Newsletter! This month we begin a two part series on Mold and Indoor Air Quality. In this month's edition, we will be offering some helpful tips and education about:
National Allergy is committed to offering you the best information because we believe that education is often the most effective weapon to combat many of the environmental health issues we face. Presented below is some of the current understanding on the subject of Mold and Indoor Air Quality from the medical and scientific community. It's important to note that scientific research continues on this very broad subject and new discoveries will certainly be made.
The National Allergy Newsletter Team
Mold and Indoor Air Quality
(Part 1 of 2, So Stay Tuned For Next Month's Edition, "I've Got Mold... Now What?")
Indoor Air Quality and Your HealthDuring the last several years, we all have heard about illnesses and structural problems within homes as a result of exposure to toxic mold and fungal microorganisms. And there seems to be an increase of allergy symptoms and hypersensitivity, particularly in young children, as a result of mold. Learning more about the causes of these problems is the first step in knowing how to maintain a quality home environment.
Building Related Illness (BRI) and Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) are terms used when health symptoms are experienced while in a particular building (including the home) and relief from these symptoms only occurs after leaving the site. Causes of BRI and SBS are often related to poor Indoor Air Quality (IAQ). Poor IAQ can be caused by many different factors such as:
Mold and Its Dangerous Effect On Indoor Air QualityMold, also called mildew or fungus, is an organic substance that comes in a variety of species and colors and is often recognized by its musty smell. Mold has been implicated as a major cause of BRI and SBS. Studies have shown that exposure to mold can induce respiratory illness in adults, and can cause early onset asthma and allergies in children.
Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions... They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people.A recent Mayo Clinic Study (1999) found that 96% of chronic sinus infections were caused by molds. Molds have also been implicated in other non-allergy related illnesses.
A wide variety of symptoms have been attributed to the toxic effects of fungi. Symptoms such as fatigue, nausea, and headaches, and respiratory and eye irritation have been reported. Some of the symptoms related to fungal exposure are non-specific, such as discomfort, inability to concentrate, and fatigue.
Types of Mold You Should Know AboutThere are a number of different molds that can be found in the home. Some of these molds favor outdoor environments for growth but readily enter the home by circulating through doorways, windows, and systems like heating and air conditioning units. Mold can grow on almost any substance as long as it has a carbon-based food source, moisture, oxygen, and the temperature is between 40 and 100o F. We've listed these molds at the genus level but there are sometimes many different species - some more toxic than others. For example, Aspergillus has well over 100 species including flavus, ochraceus, and parasiticus.
How Do I Know If I Have A Mold Problem?If you think your home or office might have a mold problem it's time to do a little detective work. First, consider your symptoms or those of your loved ones. When you leave the suspected area do the symptoms dissipate? Do you smell anything different when you enter the area (a musty smell for example)? Are there any visible signs of mold growth (even a little) like shown in the pictures? Carpet, dry wall, wood, attic space and insulation, and even bare earth in a crawl space should be checked. Do you or have you ever had a water leak in any part of your home? The source could be rain, plumbing, an appliance or condensation.
If you don't see any visible signs of mold, don't breathe a sigh of relief just yet. Unfortunately, there are many places for mold to hide. For example, mold can be behind baseboards, under carpeting, in the ventilation system, or behind drywall. You should also be wary of any area that has been wet at one time but now appears dry: even non-living mold spores can cause adverse health symptoms. While hidden mold is more difficult to detect, it can often be recognized by odor. If you suspect you might have a mold problem, the next step is to utilize a do-it-yourself mold test or contact a professional IAQ consultant for testing.
Mold Testing TechniquesTesting is an effective and recommended way to discover if mold is present, how much mold is present, and what types of mold are present. Having said that, please realize that these tests should be used as an initial screening procedure and that further testing may be needed to fully characterize your environmental conditions. There are two main test methods available that are very easy to use.
The Air Sample method usually utilizes a culture plate (or petri dish) that must be refrigerated until time of use. It is then left open in the test area for about an hour. Live mold spores that are in the air then settle on the plate and will grow on the media over the course of 5 to 7 days. The plates are sent to a test lab where they are carefully examined. This method allows for the specification of different types of live molds at the genus level and can show how severe the problem is based upon how many colonies grow on the plate. It is important to note that this test method is a "snapshot" view of live airborne mold spore in the location tested. But mold spores can be released intermittently, based upon activity levels in the area, relative air pressure, and other variables, so the air sample snapshot may not reflect the true nature of the condition. Also, mold spores don't have to be live to cause health problems, and dead ones won't grow on the plates. Finally, molds grow at different rates. Slow growing molds (like Stachybotrys) could become hidden on the culture plate by the more rapid growing molds.
The Tape-Lift method of mold detection, as the name implies, utilizes a peel-off tape strip that is pressed on the surface to be tested. The sample is then applied to a glass slide and read at a test lab under a microscope at 400 to 1000 times magnification. Spores are identified by visual characteristics such as size, shape, texture, and color. A heavy load of background material on the slide - like dust, dirt or other debris - might obscure the view of any mold spores present. A report is sent, usually showing a semi-quantitative estimate at the genus level. Because some spores look the same under a microscope (such as Penicillium and Aspergillus) they are listed together, and because there are literally thousands of different spore types, you may sometimes see spores reported as "unidentifiable". Because tape-lift tests read both living and non-living spores, this sampling method reveals a historical account of what has occurred in an area over time rather than a snapshot of what is currently in the air.
A Case StudyIdentification and subsequent remediation of indoor mold growth and related contaminants in a home, office or school can result in significant health improvements, as seen in the case of this asthmatic child:
A two year-old boy with a history of poorly controlled asthma was brought to an allergy clinic for assessment by a pediatric allergist. His symptoms included a "smoker-like" cough, nasal congestion, sneezing, eye irritation and wheezing. His family history for allergies was negative, and allergy skin testing demonstrated he was non-reactive to cats, dogs, cockroaches, dust mites, dust and mold allergens (with appropriate positive and negative controls).
ConclusionWe hope this edition of the National Allergy E-Mail Newsletter has been helpful to you. Stay tuned next month for Part 2 of this series, "I've Got Mold... Now What?", where we'll focus on the process of clean-up and removal of mold and mildew. Please remember that scientific research continues on this very broad subject and new discoveries will certainly be made. If you have specific questions about mold or mildew, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll do our best to help. Should you have an immediate concern or an obvious mold problem in your home we encourage you to seek out professional help in your area.
This Month's Exclusive Offers - Expire 9/19/2003!
To take advantage of the offers in this newsletter, be sure to subscribe by clicking here. After confirming your subscription, you will have an opportunity to read the current newsletter complete with the promotional codes.
Help Your Friends
The National Allergy E-Mail Newsletter is (c) 2003 National Allergy Supply, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No part of this Newsletter may be reproduced in whole or in part without written permission.
All trademarks not owned by National Allergy Supply, Inc. or its subsidiaries that appear in this newsletter are the property of their respective owners, who may or may not be affiliated with, connected to, or sponsored by National Allergy Supply, Inc. or its subsidiaries.
1620-D Satellite Blvd.
Duluth, GA 30097